Links

Saturday, August 28, 2010

Fast Forward

It is now August 28 and I am nearly 36 weeks pregnant with our little boy.  Things had been continuing to be pretty uneventful as far as the pregnancy was concerned.  Late in the second trimester I took the infamous Glucose test to test for Gestational Diabetes, which I failed.  That meant I had to go back for the 3 hour version of the test where I got to drink a lovely sugar drink and then have my blood drawn every hour for the 3 hours.  That was sure fun.  I was relieved when I found out that I passed.

In the beginning of the third trimester, I started having more and more issues with numbness in my hands and fingers.  Dr. Mills explained that it was due to pregnancy related carpel tunnel and that there wasn't really much I could do about it.  Fantastic!  Then I started having swelling in my feet and ankles.  Again, she said that swelling is a pretty normal pregnancy complication and that I was lucky I wasn't getting varicose veins like she got, LOL.

At 33 weeks, I took a trip to NJ for work.  This was fully OK'd by my doctor and I really thought it would be fine.  The work part of the trip was great, but honestly, traveling alone being that pregnant was really not very fun.  Plus it was HOT and HUMID as hell out there and I was pretty miserable.  My feet started swelling like CRAZY during that trip and I started having some pretty nasty headaches.

The next week, at my normal 34 week appointment, my blood pressure was through the roof.  Like 150/100.  They did some extra urine and blood labs and diagnosed me with mild pre-eclampsia and said that I needed to be on bedrest until I deliver.  Awesome.

That was nearly 2 weeks ago.  So far bedrest (or as I like to call it, couchrest) is going pretty well.  My body is definitely responding to it.  My blood pressure is down, the swelling is down, and the protein level in my urine is down- all good things.  We had an ultrasound yesterday where they estimated Nicholas to weigh 5 lbs 6 oz which is normal and they were pleased with his movement and the level of amniotic fluid.  Also did an internal and told me that my cervix is closed and high, so that means he is probably not ready to come out any time soon.

Hopefully he continues to bulk up and then decides to come out a few weeks early.  Honestly, I am going to be really sad if I have to blow 5 of my weeks of maternity leave before he gets here and then only have 7 or 8 weeks off with him once he comes out.  Last week the doctor was talking about induction around 39 weeks for sure or possibly earlier if I was favorable for it and he was ready.  We will see what happens.  In the meantime, maybe I can get myself back into this blogging habit!  I did get a new toy last week, so soon I will be showing you lots of pretty pictures :)

No comments: