Links

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Nicholas's birth story, part 1

After my last regular post, we had our second 37 week appointment on Friday, 9/10.  At that point, my BP was again elevated (in the 150/90 range) so my doctor told us that she didn't see any reason to keep me pregnant any longer.  She explained that with the elevated BP it wasn't worth the risk and that it was time to induce.  Josh and I were so excited!  We headed home to grab our stuff and then made our way to the hospital.  On the way we pretty much called all of the family and updated Facebook to let everybody know that baby Nicholas was on the way!  My parents and my brother and his wife both left WI and headed to IN so that they would be here in time for the delivery.

We got to the hospital and checked in by late afternoon.  They started the induction by giving me several rounds of Cytotek.  We knew it was going to be a process since when the doctor checked me that afternoon, my cervix was still closed.  After the first few rounds of Cytotek, I had dilated to about a 1- not much progress but I was definitely feeling the contractions.  My parents arrived late, maybe around 11 pm.  They stopped in the hospital to say Hi and then headed to our house since it was clear that nothing was going to happen that night.  I spent a pretty uncomfortable night due to the contractions and the annoying monitors they strap to your belly to monitor the baby.  Also, the bed they had me in must serve a dual purpose as a torture device.  It was easily the most uncomfortable bed I have ever been in!  I should also mention that they were continuing to monitor my BP and it actually went down the whole time we were there.

They started the Pitocin early the next morning.  I started having pretty painful contractions.  With the Pitocin, I dilated up to around 1.5 and then pretty much stalled out.  My brother and his wife arrived at the hospital in the early afternoon and we were all just kind of hanging out, waiting for something to happen.  One of the nurses noticed that at the end of my contractions, the baby would have a small dip in his heart rate.  She explained that it meant that he was not tolerating the contractions well and they decided to stop the Pitocin to give him and me a break.  We walked the halls for a bit and then monitor the baby for a while to see how he was doing without the influence of the Pitocin.

After our walk, they monitored the baby and decided that he was happy as a clam.The doctor (on call doctor for the practice) came in and basically said that he was thinking about sending me home due to the fact that my BP was stable, and the baby was fine.  Basically, if we were to continue with the induction and continue to stress the baby it could end up in a C-section situation since I wasn't dilating on my own.  While I was not happy about being sent home without a baby, I appreciated the fact that I was not being pushed toward a C-section and felt that everybody involved was looking out for our best interests.  Plus, I was sick and tired of that damned uncomfortable bed and just wanted to get the hell home.  The doctor did say that lots of times these "failed inductions" do result in labor starting on its own within the next few days, so we were hopeful for that.

So, we packed up all of our stuff and went home.  My Dad stayed until the next day, and my Mom and Jason and Julie decided to stick around.  My Mom had planned to stay for a few weeks after the baby was born, and Jason and Julie had prepaid for their hotel room so it just made sense for them to stay.  We spent the next few days just relaxing around the house and hanging out.  I was basically still on bedrest so I wasn't the best company.  I remember telling my brother a few times that I was sorry for being a total Bitch, but I think everybody understood where I was coming from LOL.  I am lucky to have such understanding, caring family :)

No comments: